Birth: Apr. 11, 1891Death: Nov. 13, 1964
Farwell Winston was one of three Farwell family members to be Mayor of Lake Forest. His term lasted from 1925-1928. During his tenure, the land west of Skokie Highway as well as the Knollwood Club area were annexed. Farwell Winston was educated at Yale (Class of 1915).
His mother Grace Farwell Winston McGann (b 1867), lived at "Fairlawn", 965 E. Deerpath Road, which she built in 1923 to replace the first  Fairlawn, which had burned in 1920. Fairlawn had been the home of her father, Senator Charles B Farwell, although in the teens it had been the home of Hobart and Rose Farwell Chatfield-Taylor. Grace's other sister, Anna, married Reginald deKoven. Grace also had a brother, Walter. Grace was a talented artist.
Farwell's father was Dudley Winston. According to The Hand-Book of Chicago Biography, ed. by John J. Flinn (Chicago: Standard Guide, 1893), Dudley was the son of Maria Dudley Winston and [General] Frederick Hampden Winston. Frederick Winston had a distinguished legal career in Chicago, where he began practicing law in the 1850s in partnership with Norman B. Judd, who in 1860 nominated Lincoln for the presidency at the Republican Convention and later was ambassador to Prussia, then becoming Germany under Bismarck. Frederick Winston himself was President Grover Cleveland's ambassador to Persia. Dudley served as the Ambassador's secretary during his senior year at Yale. When Frederick Winston's other son, Frederick Seymour Winston, joined his father's law business in 1878, the firm began its evolution into what is today Winston & Strawn. [FS Winston was Chicago's Assistant Corporation Counsel in 1881, and he was the first firm attorney to argue before the US Supreme Court in 1882.]
Dudley Winston died at age 32 in April, 1898, during a train trip to NYC. He had studied law with his father, entered the real estate and loan business, and had been appointed Civil Service Commissioner in 1896.
The new "Fairlawn" was designed by the fashionable NY architects Delano & Aldrich in an elegant, Federal, neo-Palladian style. The eight acre estate was subdivided in the 1950's by Farwell Winston, who retained 3.5 acres for the house. The garage was converted into a residence.
"In 1924 the architect Stanley Anderson remodeled the 1890's McGann estate barn of the House in the Woods into a French farmhouse residence for the Farwell Winston's." [p. 278, Classic Country Estates of Lake Forest, by Kim Coventry, Daniel Meyer, Arthur Miller. (2003, WW Norton & Co.).
Lake Forest Cemetery
Created by: Rommy Lopat
Record added: May 31, 2008
Find A Grave Memorial# 27220806